What is NLP?
Neuro-linguistic programming was created in the 1970s. It’s a psychological technique that focuses on language and the mind, and how the two affect human behaviors. The goal of NLP is to create positive behaviors from within by learning how to control how we respond to events and people.
The practice of Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) endeavors to influence a person’s way of thinking and their behavioral patterns in a bid to instigate personal growth and curb the effects of conditions such as anxiety, post-traumatic stress and common phobias.
The tools for effective Neuro-linguistic Programming include communication techniques and manipulating an individual’s perceptions which results in modification of behavior.
Since the development of this practice back in 1970, it has advanced rapidly in recent decades and with the facilitation of an NLP specialist, its outcomes are desirable.
There are three basic components to NLP
• Neuro – this refers to the system that regulates vision, kinesthetic, taste, audition, and smell – your neurological system regulates your most basic senses. In neuro-linguistic programming, the belief is that every individual has a unique filtering system in their mind that allows them to process the information that your senses are absorbing. In NLP, First Access relates to the map of the world we hold in our mind. It is made up of our senses and internal images.
• Linguistic – as humans, it’s normal for us to assign meaning to all of the information we receive from our environment. This is how we form the second mental map and how we form our conscious awareness. We assign language to all of those senses that we have filtered. So, this second map is known as linguistic representation (or map).
• Programming – this is our behavior that occurs as a result of the filtering process and linguistic representation. As we repeatedly perform tasks or thoughts, we form habits and, in turn, the brain creates neural pathways as a result.
Functional Basis of Neuro-linguistic Programming
According to NLP specialists, patients have different sensory responses derived from learning experiences in their environment. A trained NLP specialist maps out these tendencies and strives to modify their unconscious limitations for an individual’s betterment. The outcome of the procedure is a notable increase in performance in an individual’s personal and work life.
There is a clear distinction between hypnotherapy and NLP. Neuro-linguistic programming influences change in an individual’s thought process by the conscious use of language. A key aspect to the practice is the principle of preferred representational system (PRS). This states that any given person is more inclined to a specific sensory system which sets the target for (NLP) language.
A therapist initiates a session with target phrases aimed at sourcing out an individual’s preferred representation sensory system. The phrases may trigger a visual or an audio PRS which becomes the basis for developing the therapy’s framework.
The next phase entails establishing a connection with a patient, gathering essential information and stipulating attainable goals for the exercise.
This field has developed over the years to encompass very broad concepts and techniques but with the same outcomes. The main objective is eliminating all the negative energy accumulated from a traumatic experience manifested in repressed thoughts and feelings.
The most effective techniques start with the anchoring process which seeks triggers, next is creating a rapport to encourage free expression, then move to swish pattern which entails converting all undesired thoughts and behavior to positive energy and lastly the visual kinesthetic dissociation ends the procedure by removing all negative energy attributed to a bad experience in the past.
Does the Process Really Work
So far therapy is colorful on paper but the main concern for many is whether the proposed techniques have recorded any plausible success. The efficacy of NLP has been tested by multiple organizations. Research groups have attributed some degree of success to the techniques involved but in a controlled environment.
NLP is not a substitute for any medical process and is a common tool utilized by self-help facilities. Consistency is key and for many people, the process has helped them enrich the quality of their thoughts and how they present themselves in social circles.
When compared to groups that have not been engaged in NLP there is a clear distinction in levels of confidence, attitudes towards prevailing stress and their efficiency in a work environment.
The Benefits of Neuro-linguistic Programming
So, now you have a greater understanding about what it is, how can it help you? Well, it can prove beneficial in both your personal life and your career. Let’s take a look at how.
• As you become more articulate in your communication, you will find it easier to develop improved relationships with romantic partners, family members, and friends.
• Learning how to re-frame your beliefs and thoughts makes you far more capable to set up your goals.
• The ability to understand how your mind works and how your behaviors came to be will help you learn how to deal with negatives in your life, people and events.
• When you learn how to break bad habits you find the ability within yourself to increase productivity to chase your dreams.
• When you are more comfortable in your communications, you are more confident. This allows you to be more effective in serving your clients and dealing with your colleagues.
• When you study language, you are able to sharpen both your presentation and communication skills.
• You become a better negotiator when you learn how to understand human responses.
• Your management skills improve when you understand what individuals are motivated by.
Neuro-linguistic programming allows you to take control of your identity and your mind in order to function effectively. It allows you to change your mindset to a positive one in order to thrive in any role you tackle. It’s about recognizing the intrinsic value of others and yourself and adapting to any situation in order to attain optimum performance.
Making the Most of Neuro-linguistic Programming Sessions
Understanding the huge role that the unconscious mind plays in attaining short term and long-term goals can help you maximize the results of every NLP session. The procedure heavily relies on communication and therefore you should master to express your thoughts and feelings in a value-oriented manner.
Picture a behavior you would want to change, that one-character flaw that holds you back. Such could be procrastination patterns, turning down opportunities due to anxiety or stress eating triggered by an unfortunate event that happened in your past.
Either of these is adjustable by engaging your unconscious mind as facilitated by a qualified practitioner. With an open mind, you can always brighten up your life with tools offered by Neuro-linguistic Programming.